Back in February, I had an annual exam. Obviously I wasn't looking forward to this, and the only real reason I scheduled the exam with limited procrastination is that I was on my last month of birth control pills.
In the days before the appointment, it crossed my mind that there wasn't really a reason for being on birth control. I am not having sex - as of today (is it sad that I know this?), it has been 360 days since I last had sex. But I figured that one day in the future I will be having sex again (man, I hope so!) and why mess with something that wasn't broke.
Then I read an article on MSNBC (from Self) about unplanned pregnancy.
"This isn't supposed to happen to smart women. We want to believe that unwed mothers are teenagers who have been careless or clueless."
But it does.
And I am in any position to raise a child at this point in my life.
I met a potential running partner a couple of months ago. She was nice enough, but as we talked over drinks, I couldn't help but cringe as she told me about her current relationship. She was recently divorced (as in January) and now living with the guy she started dating before the divorce was even finalized. The whole situation screamed rebound. It sounds dramatic, but at least the kind of dramatic that you can wash your hands of when you are finished with it. Unless you get pregnant. Like she did. Now, in some way or form, she is stuck with her rebound forever.
I don't plan on having careless, random sex anytime soon. Or ever. But I know we all make bad decisions occasionally. I know we all do things that we regret.
So, I'll keep popping that pill every morning until I am certain that I am ready to raise a child.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Why I Pop a Pill Every Morning
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ditto! Even though I have a partner--and we're 26 and 34--I feel we are in no position to raise a child now, ever, so I will be on the pill until one of us gets fixed! =)
I don't mean to challenge you - but I also think it's niave to think that popping a pill is 100% insurance.
We as a society have morphed into a contraceptive mentality that has completely removed the potential for babymaking from the act of sexual intercourse. When in fact, that is what it does - and what it is for.
Just as breasts are meant to feed babies, but our society can't see beyond their sexual appeal. Pretty silly eh? I will always stick to the contraceptive measure of not having sex with anyone I don't want to have a child with.
So far, it's been foolproof.
Post a Comment