I swear I am not normally like this. So self-doubting. I guess I must have become jaded in recent months. I know that relative to all the other problems in the world, this is smaller than miniscule, but I can’t help but feel a little anxious and even sorry for myself (and if it is one thing I hate it is feeling sorry for myself – there is so much to be thankful for that I should under no circumstances feel like I am getting the short end of the stick in life!!).
Yesterday afternoon I emailed MCL to ask if he wanted to come with me to the holiday party that Laura and I are co-hosting. I joked that since all my friends would be there, it would be a little like “jumping into the deep end of my life,” but that I wouldn’t let him drown. I haven’t heard back yet. I know I shouldn’t be jumping the gun with my worrying, but being that he is a computer nerd who works at home for himself, I can almost guarantee that he has checked his email. And we’ve both been quick about responses in the past so a 20 hour wait for an email reply is not typical. I’ve been checking my email like every 5 minutes, which doesn’t help the situation. So right now I am imposing an email checking ban for the next 90 minutes. That could potentially save me 17 or 18 moments of disappointment. What kills me is that if I had just listened to Laura’s advice (call him, not email) instead of also polling Shell and Krissy, I would already have an answer instead of this unbearable wait.
OK, I’m done venting on my moment(s) of insecurity.
I am also concerned about the 15 pound turkey I am potentially receiving in a few hours. I was sick the day we were able to opt out of turkeys so I think one is coming my way. I don’t have plans to cook a turkey this week. Even if I did, it would #1 probably come out bad because I have not the slightest clue how to cook a turkey and #2 go to waste because there is no way I could each that much turkey before it went bad (if it was ever good in the first place). My freezer is filled to the brim and probably isn’t big enough for turkey even if completely empty. I have my fingers crossed that I won’t have to deal with finding a home for a frozen bird!!
Tuesday, November 22, 2005
(Needless) Worries
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
1. Boo. Waiting is the worst. Especially for an email. Emails are so good for instant gratification that when we don't them it's torture. Yuck.
2. Who is sending you a turkey and how do I hop on that band wagon? They just send you a turkey?? Do they send other things? Specifically, I could really go for some banannas and a gallon of milk. (I desperately need to go grocery shopping)
3. whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one with silly worries.
:)
I just checked my email and was excited to see I had “1 New Message.” While it is exciting to get a comment from you Courtney, I do admit my heart sank a little bit when I realized it wasn’t the email I have been waiting for. No worries though, all the pent up frustration will be great fuel for a run tonight. (I’m going to need to remember that I am going to get a new message after I post a comment too).
As for the free turkey… it has been claimed by a coworker. My company provides turkeys for everyone at Thanksgiving. I’d prefer pumpkin pie or something else ready to eat, but I guess those who actually cook like the turkeys. Maybe one day I’ll become domestic and take advantage of it. Doubtful though.
Ohh, K, I would be worrying, too! What a horrible anxious feeling. I hope you were able to run some of it off and feel more at peace. Don't feel bad about emailing him; I don't think it was a bad idea. If he doesn't end up writing back, it's his loss.
k you should know that yesterday, as in November 22, was the Xbox 360 launch day. If MCL is as a computer geek type it may be that he got up early to get in a huge line to pick up an Xbox 360, got one and has been playing it since. If that is the case expect to hear from him sometime today when the initial rush of having an Xbox 360 wanes enough for normal life functions to kick back in.
Hopefully that is all it was and you'll hear from him today. :-)
Post a Comment