I feel as if I am a rather philanthropic person. I don’t have thousands of dollars or loads of time to give to all the worthy causes out there, but I do what I can. I volunteer regularly with Habitat4Humanity and then here and there when other opportunities come up. I give money to the RedCross, to an orphanage in Honduras, to UnitedWay. I buy RealChange. I put money in the SalvationArmy buckets at Christmas time. I even give change to homeless people who I run into on the streets. I try to think and act progressively and try to educate other who may not be fully aware.
So I don’t feel that guilty that I find the multitudes of 20-somethings patrolling the streets of Seattle in the name of various save-the-world causes completely and utterly annoying! Yesterday I was accosted not once, but twice on the same block, while trying to run errands during lunch. I took a round-about route back to the office just to avoid the one street (the main shopping area of course!) where they seem to all flock. My PM tells me I look too open and too easy. I try to avoid eye-contact and to look indifferent as I make my way down the sidewalk, but once they take a step towards me and start in with the “Hi, do you have a minute…” I feel bad ignoring them. I’ve gotten pretty good at not letting them get much more in – “Actually, I don’t. I need to run my errands and get back to work…” and then just continue walking. But it gets old, dodging them and the slight guilt that accompanies it all. I’m on a break from work and I can’t even relax. I respect that they want to get the word out about a cause that they care about, but couldn’t they just sit at a table and talk to those who approach, rather than canvassing the streets like they are looking for prey. Once I did stop and talk to someone (he worked for SaveTheChildren, I think). I listened to his little spiel and then asked if I could take home some information, namely the pamphlet he was flashing in front of me, to think and learn more about. One would think the answer would surely be yes since they are trying to get people involved and they really should want people to make informed decisions. But no, he couldn't give me anything. Instead I should just sign up to make monthly donations right then and there… What an ambush tactic! Don’t give your “victims” any time to think about it, just make them act on your guilt trip!
I’m sure these people are good people. But I am a good person too so stop trying to make me feel like I am a bad person and let me enjoy my lunch hour in peace!
Wednesday, December 07, 2005
Accosted
Labels:
life or something like it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Here Here!!
Post a Comment