Sunday, April 26, 2009

Another Experiment. This One of the Social Variety.

Fueled by a desire to take matters into my own hands, and a slight obsession with craigslist, I went out on a limb decided to see if it was possible to make normal friends on craigslist.

Yes, I posted my own ad in the “strictly platonic” section. Looking to broaden my social circle, I was interested in meeting girls who were into typical Seattle outdoorsy stuff like running, hiking, skiing… and also interested in getting together to go to the movies, grab a drink, get ice cream, or make dinner at home and sit around having good conversation. I mentioned that I probably wouldn’t connect well with people who engage in the work-eat-watch tv-sleep-repeat lifestyle.

Since last Sunday, I’ve had 16 responses. I deleted 2 (the nice thing about writing the ad, is you are completely anonymous and if you don’t want to return the email – you don’t have too!) – one carbon copied me on a email where she responded to other ads (seriously?) and one didn’t impress me with her email. Otherwise I think I am willing to give everyone else a chance, although I'm still pondering some.

So, with 14 potential friends left, I thought the whole process would make for interesting blogging.

This whole thing is funny. It is kind of like online dating, but I'm allowed to walk out of the whole process with multiple friends as opposed to just one boyfriend. My schedule is actually pretty full these next couple of weeks, so it has been a bit of a chore scheduling these “girl dates” as KC called them.

So, let the craigslist experiment begin!

Links to my “dates” (to be updated as they happen)
Girl Date #1 The Adventurous One
Girl Date #2 The Teacher
Girl Date #3 The Upstater

Girl Date #4 The Cheesehead
Girl Date #5 The Tutor
Girl Date #6 The Aussie
Girl Date #7 The Triathelete
Girl Date #8 The New Yorker
Girl Date #8 The Artist
Girl Date #9 The Newbie

Girl Date #10 The DD
Girl Date #11 The Neighbor
Girl Date #12 The Bus Girl
Girl Date #13 The Law Student

5 comments:

Camels & Chocolate said...

That's hilarious. Though it makes perfect sense--if someone can meet a husband online, why not a friend? Funny enough, 90 percent of people I call my friends in San Fran are pals I met through blogs, so really, how is it any different?

Katie said...

AWESOME! I'm so excited. And look, 14 easy posts!

Michelle and the City said...

that definitely will lend itself to some great blog fodder :)

but with all the craigslist craziness lately, make sure you meet them in a very public place. always better to be safe than sorry.

TRS said...

This should be good.

Anonymous said...

I am ridiculously excited about this! I should do this in KW too. GFF